Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Teaching them a skill

Don't be afraid to teach your kids something new even if you know it is going to get a little messy. What are your hobbies?? Do your kids get in on that or do you save it for yourself when they are not around? Which is understandable and great for your but everyone in a while you can share and have some fun showing your kids what mom or dad knows how to do.

I was out with my weanling colt yesterday and was showing my daughter how to get up to him slowly and gain his trust. He is a wild thing and she is into horses, has her own but is a little unsure about him and his wildness. So this morning he is tangled up in a branch with his 10 ft lead rope that is on him so we can catch him and she goes in with him and slowly goes over and untangles him. I was so proud and so was she. It really boosted her confidence and made us both proud and all because I took a few minutes to show her a skill.

I have taught my kids to crochet, sew, embroider, cook, train the dog. the list goes on. So the next time your kids say that they are board or want to do something with you introduce them to your hobby. Remember to keep it to yourself too because us parents need our own thing too.

No comments: